Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Role confusion and reversal within CMC as a byproduct of COI.


Role confusion and reversal within CMC as a byproduct of COI


  As we enter the 8th week of our module in DTLT the focus has shifted to the benefits and challenges of online learning. Generally, I would describe the learning experience up to this point as extremely satisfying and I have really enjoyed navigating Moodle software and taking advantage of the affordances provided by online learning. I can honestly say that so far I have few objections to the format of online learning but as time has passed I have also realized that online learning is not the utopian experience one would automatically assume it to be.  Anagnostopoulos, Basmadjian, and McCrory (2005) point out that online learning, unbeknownst to some users, entails a multiplicity of unexpected and loosely defined role plays and reversals that can pose challenges to all participants within the online learning environment. I recall this comment instantly resonating with my f2f undergraduate experience when compared to my most recent post graduate experiences as an online, distance learner. As I mentioned in week 8 tutorial session, as a student, I interpret my role firstly as subservient in relation to what I know and hope to learn in comparison to the knowledge and experience of the tutor. As an online learner, I expected to spend more time reading, listening and responding to questions, followed by positive or negative feedback in regards to the correctness of my responses. As a result of these long held expectations, I experienced a bit of anxiety and uncertainty when presented with the occasional tasks of initiating forum discussion, repeatedly being asked to present my own opinions, and at times being expected to present content and direct discussion in the same method as the module tutor.

 Burbules and Callister (2000) point out that as a result of students not expecting the necessity of defined and redefined roles within f2f and online learning, there is the issue of value allocation for the content gained and the interaction that takes place within the online classroom. I can concur with this statement as I have experienced a measurable degree of frustration over what I had viewed as an absence of teacher presence (content/structure) and social presence (setting climate) of my tutor and the over abundant forum presence of my academic peers within my cohort. Placing these feelings into words will prove difficult, but as a student I had expected, or rather imagined that throughout the entire learning process (forum, discussion, email, tutorials) I would be hearing and receiving (or seeing in text) more direct, one way, non-negotiable content from my tutor as this is a mirror image reflection of my learning experience in a physical classroom. Again, as a result of these assumptions and expectations, frustration, confusion, angst, apprehension, and fear are some of the sporadic emotions I have experienced throughout this module. I spent some time trying to pinpoint the trigger for each of these emotional responses and can’t say that I’d had much luck until coming across a few words from Idhe. He mentions that it is a false expectation to think an online learning experience will enhance learning, alternatively, it’s a false assumption to believe that online learning is a lesser experience due to its copied learning format. (Idhe, 2004) I think Idhe hit the nail dead center on the head by saying “People want what technology gives but refuse to accept the limits of technology.”(Idhe, 2004)

I imagine that this unannounced exchange of roles and the ensuing role plays that develop within online learning environments pose a challenge for some learners and I think it would be helpful if some discussion or introductory activities highlighted and informed students of the variable learning experiences to be expected in comparison to f2f learning in a physical classroom.

Lastly, I was also interested to find that one of the larger challenges of COI and CMC in the online learning environment is the continuous successful transmission of intelligible communication. Considering how direct communication is via sms, email, asynchronous and synchronous communication, it is peculiar yet also a no brainer that COI doesn’t fully attribute credible meaning to every utterance. Hopefully, I’ll be successful in my presentation of content in the week 10 tutorials…hint, hint, can you sense my anxiety? 

No comments:

Post a Comment